You have printed or saved this information from www.NATI.net, the website for the Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Technology Industries.
Peter Rawsthorne, Manager of Software Engineering and Enterprise Architect, Provincial Aerospace Ltd (PAL).
As a Manager of Software Engineering at Provincial Aerospace Ltd (PAL), Peter manages the software development team responsible for iceberg and environmental surveillance, Peter also serves as the enterprise architect within PAL where he is a trusted advisor to the overall PAL Enterprise looking to benefit from the effective use of technology and derived innovations. Peter is a seasoned IT professional with over 25 years of proven success as an Enterprise Architect / Technical Architect, Project Manager, Software Developer and Information Technology Educator. As consultant he has worked on many open and international projects with a client list including; Mozilla Foundation, UNESCO, WikiEducator, Continuing Legal Education of BC, and the Commonweath of Learning.
Some of his professional and volunteer accomplishments include;
- Growing WikiEducator to span all 52 member Commonwealth countries and being a board member of WikiEducator during this time of rapid growth
- Innovating legal education within the province of British Columbia to creating one of the world's premier legal educators
- Assisting with the Mozilla Open Badges and Ignite labs technology initiatives as an architectural advisor and partnership builder.
- Being a founder, technology advisor or early stage contributor to five technology start-ups
- Innovating automobile insurance with one of the first internet based customer service applications.
- Facilitating numerous youth and adult workshops in computer literacy, software development and web based technologies and approaches. Facilitated Mozilla webmaker initiatives within western Canada.
- 10 years of writing and publishing a technology and knowledge management blog with over 400 posts, having a 200 person daily readership and > 160,000 global page views.
- Many years of being faculty or staff in the computer science technology departments, education department, and with graduate studies curriculum. Institutions include;
- Computer Systems Technology, British Columbia institute of Technology
- Computer Science, Capilano University
- Instructional Development Office, Memorial University
- School of Graduate Studies, Memorial University
Peter has worked with many technology startups in the Vancouver startup community. His role was most often as technical architect within the startup or technical expert providing architectural due diligence for the VC or Angel investors. He brings technical depth, business acumen and management savvy to all the projects and organizations he has had the good fortune to work with.
Peter resides in St. John's, Newfoundland with his wife Lisa and three children; Ana Rose, Lucas and Kai. Peter spends his free time either working with his wife in fixing up Lisa's southern shore family home, or performing in local folk music / dance festivals and events. Peter grew up on the ocean in Western Canada and is an active backcountry skier and outdoorsman. He is always eager to get back out on the ocean and considers his more than 3 years as a young adult working and exploring the ocean off the west coast as some of his most memorable.
Peter holds a Master of Education, Information technology from Memorial University (2007) and an Honors' Bachelor or Technology degree specializing in database management from BCIT (1996).