You have printed or saved this information from www.NATI.net, the website for the Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Technology Industries.
Research & Development Corporation
Investing in people, research and infrastructure
The Research & Development Corporation (RDC) is a provincial Crown corporation responsible for improving Newfoundland and Labrador's R&D performance.
Incorporated under the Research & Development Council Act in 2009, RDC operates at arm's length from the provincial government.
RDC works with R&D stakeholders including business, academia and government agencies and departments. Its mandate is to strengthen the focus, quantity, quality and relevance of research and development undertaken in the province and elsewhere for the long-term economic benefit of the province.
RDC provides leadership, strategic focus and investments in order to strengthen and improve the research system throughout the province. Increased R&D activities will play a major role in driving innovation, creating wealth and increasing economic growth in Newfoundland and Labrador for future generations.
Over the next 10 years, RDC will focus on the following activities:
- Increasing overall R&D investment in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Pursuing R&D opportunities that are relevant to the local economy
- Targeting sectors that are of strategic importance to Newfoundland and Labrador's economy
- Understanding current and future markets and research needs
- Responding quickly and flexibly to opportunities
- Encouraging key stakeholders to collaborate and cooperate in the R&D process
RDC investment decisions are guided by the need to:
- Increase business investment in R&D
- Target industries with identified technical needs, market opportunities or resource development potential
- Invest in the development of highly-qualified researchers, innovative research equipment, and world-class research facilities
- Emphasize quality, industry relevance and economic impact when considering institutional investments in R&D
- Employ a global lens in evaluating opportunities to ensure investment decisions are strategic and aligned with Newfoundland and Labrador's competitive advantages
- Facilitate local, national and international collaboration among R&D stakeholders - business, academia and others
RDC has a suite of funding programs tailored to enhance business-led R&D in Newfoundland and Labrador.
It also has academic programs which focus on building the R&D capacity required for innovation and commercialization within the province.
RDC looks forward to partnering with NATI and its members to enhance R&D growth in Newfoundland and Labrador.